Byte Magazine’s, has released its editor’s choice for the best products of 1991. The Awards for Excellence went to the following products:
* System 7.0, the Macintosh operating system from Apple Computer. Also from Apple was the Quick Time 1.0 movie file format for multimedia.
* Another operating system winning the lop award was Digital Research’s DR DOS 6.0.
* Fox Pro from Fox Software took an award for being the top-quality database.
* The PCMCIA 2.0 IC card standard that may replace floppy cards as a common way to store data and programs.
* Microsoft did not win for MS-DOS 5.0 but did garner top awards for Excel 3.0 and Visual BASIC.
* Cayman Systems’ GatorBox CS Macintosh and Unix network system got a top network award, as did Novell’s NetWare 3.11.
There were several other top awards, and a number of other products were also cited in other categories.